Monday, March 7, 2011

raw rock theology tour 2011. free tour. Showbread

Showbread
It was early mid morning when I heard my mom calling for to get up, it was 8’o clock in the morning and I was going to get up and take a shower before we headed off. I moseyed out of bed, and my mom suggested that instead of taking my shower right now I could go back to bed and take a shower at the hotel when we get down there. I loved the idea and slowly walked back to my room and went back to bed. Forty minutes later I was awoken once again but this time I was staying up and moving. We both started to pack what we would need for a two day stay away, which took us about forty minutes total, and then we said goodbye to our dogs and cat and left. The road...what a gloriously boring one it was. We talked about the night and our plan for when we get there go swimming for bit, take showers and eat, look around town and then we’d head to the church. It didn’t take me long to find that my eyes were closing and opening more slowly by the second and that I was saying sure and okay to everything my mother asked or stated. I woke up in the car when we got to the hotel and my mom ran in and checked us in.
Once we got checked into our room we packed all of our stuff away and went down for a short swim. My estimate would be maybe 20 minutes swimming, then we went back to our room and I took a shower. Once I got out we hung around for a bit, then I wanted to go down to the church to see if showbread was there or if there was a line yet. The church was just down the road from our hotel, about 10 minutes away nestled away between some houses and fields littered with cows. We got to the church and there were few cars parked, but one thing that stood out was the white 16 passenger van and trailer that sat at the end of the parking lot. Showbread. We went inside and the church was a nice size to the right there was a cafe and farther down was a sitting area with tables, couches, and chairs. To the right was the room were showbread would be playing later that night so we decided to check it out. It was a nice size fitting for a small church in a town with 24,000 people. Chairs were laid out in three main area’s. One on each side and a group in the middle. We saw a lady in the back room and asked if this is were the concert was going to take place and she said yes! And sounded excited that they were here for tonight. We all walked back out to the main area and she explained to us that they(showbread) were over in the back by the couches taking naps. At this time is when we started to talk about the night and how excited we were. Then the kind woman asked if we had ate and we said we had not and she suggested a nice mexican, italian, Japanese, and middle place to eat. We said we’d go try one out and thanks and we were on our way. On our way out however there was a man, named Eli, who was running out the door. Following behind him were garret Holmes and Vanessa porter. We all looked out the window and to our astonishment there were cows in the parking lot, which me and my mother had noticed were meandering about earlier. We were walking out and Eli was chasing the cows back into there pens. Getting to our car we passed Vanessa and garret again. Once in the car my mom asked if I wanted to give them  the card I got them now and say hello and all that and I said I’ll past. We drove around for a while and I talked about how I felt that even though I know showbread wouldn’t have minded me coming over I wanted to give them there time. They get talked to all night after concerts so I figured I’d do it then with everything one else too, plus josh and patrick were sleeping on the couches. It took us a while to figure out we were on the wrong street so we found the right one and then we found the restaurant we were searching for do rito’s. It was a nice italian restaurant with good service and good food. I got a pepperoni calzone and breadstick and my mom got a spicy sandwich like thing. Over dinner my mom asked who all the member of showbread were and who played what and other little details like when the porter brothers got married to when there church kicked them out. 
After dinner we headed back to the hotel and hung out there until five thirty and thats when we went back to the church. There were a few more cars around and we could see that there were a couple of kids and teenagers running around outside as we pulled up. We walked in and a young blonde woman approached us and asked if we were there for the concert tonight, we said yes and she said that the doors open at seven and the concert will start at seven thirty, but until then we had to wait outside. We asked if we could get some tea from the cafe first and she said yes. We got our tea and as my mom was getting the sugar for it I was slightly glancing over by the couches to were I could see some of the guys, and Vanessa. We finished getting everything for the tea and now we had to wait outside in the car. Half an our passed and it felt like forever., then more time passed and more people came. The people who came were from the church’s youth group and we knew that because they were allowed to stay inside and hang. Around six thirty is when outsiders started to show up and most were turned away and left in their cars to return later. We sat and sat and finally around sic fifty we got out of the car once again and tried to get into the church. The blonde from before let us in this time and marked our hand with a small x so they could count how many people were coming in. We headed for the doors leading into the concert area and we stood there for a while. At one point I and my mom used the restroom and then we resumed our standing until seven something. They opened the doors and a few teens including me rushed to the front to get right up close. It was dark and everyone was still milling in getting were they wanted to. As soon as a good majority of the people were in a voice started talking that voice was that of martin luther king jr. It was one of his speeches, which one I’m not exactly sure. It was a long one I know that we got in there around seven ten I think and they didn’t come on until around seven forty or later. Tuned in the background was a music piece thats in who can know it. Martin luther finishes his speech and showbread enters the stage. 
It was really dark and then the projector started the picture that was playing behind showbread. They opened with I never liked anyone and I’m afraid of people, great song. Josh sounds different live than he does on the record but non the less still good. I don’t know if there was something wrong with there equipment or something, but josh’s mouth was moving but the words could only be heard like a whisper. It was an on and off thing through out the whole concert, sometimes you could hear him well and other times it was like he wasn’t even singing out loud, just his mouth was moving. Next up on the list was so selfish its funny. So selfish was a really fun song to hear life. Josh sways a lot while he plays guitar and sings and ocationly moved over to his keyboard to play some notes. Man with a hammer was next and unfortunaly this song got the bad end of the night and I don’t even think I could hear josh singing through out most of the song, my mom even said being in the back area she couldn’t hear much either so they were having problmems I guess. Regret consumes me was next which was executed very nicely by the guys and josh’s voice was actualy audible in this one. I did happen to get a video of a piece of regret consumes me and I might even post it later. The prison comes undone was up and was very nice and new live. The death off of Nervosa was played next, but it sounded a bit different to me live than on the record that I didn’t even know it was the death. Pachycephalosaurus was next on the list which was really fun to jump to and sing to, and seemed that more people knew this than the other stuff that they played. Josh’s voice was audible and everything did very well. Hyrda was the next song played. Hyrda live was really suberbly done. I always liked the song on the record but live made it more emotional I felt. Either myth of a christian nation or nothing matters anymore was next, but first I’ll talk about myth. Myth of a christian nation had a fitting video in the background. People marching and stuff like that. The band problem had returned and I couldn’t hear josh’s singing on this one quiet well either. Nothing matters anymore live is greater than I could have imagined. Showbread put a lot of energy into it and josh even screamed a tiny bit for the parts it had in the record. One of my favorite songs of all time was played next. Your like a taxi. The intro sounded a little different than it was on the record but then again so did most of the songs. Sad for me the sound failed yet again and I could not hear josh’s voice through some parts. But never less it was still very good and reminded me why I loved it. For the final two they played Age of Reptiles and Age of insects. Age of reptiles seamed popular with some people I think I saw a few people mouthing the words here and there. Totaling out at six minutes age of reptiles was my favorite song they played that night. Age of insects was next and patrick and garret took off there guitar and bass and sat on the floor. It looked like garret was praying his eyes were closed so. Patrick was just sitting and watching the crowd and josh. The most beautiful song live I have ever hear the insect was gorgeously executed preformed by only josh doing the vocals and guitar. At the end were the insect ties into the worship song __________. The crowd raised there hands and the voices melted together and it sounded like everyone was singing. 
As the night drew to an end patrick and Garret put down there guitar and bass and Drew left his drums, Josh was now the only one who looked like he might do something, which he did. Josh started out by saying thank you for coming and it means a lot to them, and then talked about how they left for tour not knowing wether or not they would make it all the way because they didn’t have enough money. He said they are in no way desperate and they didn’t say free concert then ask for donations. Josh said its whatever on your heart, if you came with the intention of buying nothing then nothing is what you can spend, but if you feel moved or anything you can give them donations. Josh then moved on and talked about how the words christian can mean more than one thing but to the american people, and most likely the rest of the world, christian means : mean, hostile, unloving, judgmental, preachy, tit for tat, militant, homophobic etc. And that it really should mean nuts(in a good way) crazy for others, serving others, loving, kind , caring, unselfish etc. And how when they do the next survey, which is what they did with the meaning america seas, that thats what it should say. How we can’t love someone with a vote, or picket sign or gun, or blowing there home up, whatever it is we met them were they are and serve them. In the end it was a great speach, and I thank Josh a lot for having the courage to do so. Later after the show my mom said that she saw several people leave one at a time drifting away until only a few remained. I guess it wasn’t what they thought or what they wanted, but josh still had the courage and heart to stand up there and talk. 
We’re almost at the end of my tale and I thank you for reading. 
The show was over and the overhead lights were turned on and the patrick, josh, garret and drew all hoped off stage. Crowds quickly gathered around all member, although the most being around Josh, encompassing them in people. We decided that we could come back in and that we would go look at merchandise for a while. We got out there and there was a small amount of people trickling back and forth between the table were the stuff was and back into were the showbread guys were. Vanessa was standing behind the booth taking orders from a few people and telling people the prices of things as they asked. We got up there and I wanted everything...literally. Originally I was gonna get the “Put down the sword” shirts the uniform shirt, nevada, the two comics, talons ep, and the special edition “who can know it”. But they hadn’t gotten there credit card taker up yet, and that was what we were going to pay with because it never occured to us that they might not take cards. But fortunately we did have some cash and I got the “put down the sword” shirt and Nevada and will get the rest of the things on there online store when it is back up. Once finishing here we wandered back to the area where the guys were and there were still small groups of people moving from one person to another. Drew was the closet to us currently so we went up to him first, I asked for a picture with him and of course he agreed. While my mom was getting the camera all ready drew and I introduced ourselves and then snap!. After that my mom talked to him about how much she likes what showbread does and loved the concert. After a small silent break we parted ways and moved on. There were still somewhat large group around josh so I decided to wait on him. And in the meantime we went back out and then back in, and Garret was up next. I asked garret if he would take a picture with me and replied with of course and it was done. He wanted to look at the picture so I showed him and then he noticed I had Nevada in my hands and we talked a bit about josh’s books, and then what a great show they put on and the long road ahead, and then once again we parted ways...ps...garret was the coolest to talk to for me, and the easiest. Josh was talking to a family about TSCP and Nevada and that took a while, all the while me and my mom are behind the family listening in. The church is setting up the chairs to there previous post and we must move so josh is handed something to sign and he’s walking slowly and writing, all the while a small group of people is following him. Finally after a lot of pictures with others and signing Josh turns around to us and there is about 1 awkward look into the eye moment, but then its gone and I ask him if he’d sign my book Nevada, and if I could get a picture with him, and just like all before he said yes. I think we talked to josh the least amount out of all the guys, for reasons I don’t know, but it was still nice. Finally, but not least patrick and vanessa. We went out and it was just them and I went up to the booth were vanessa was and asked if I could take a picture with her and she said yes as well. I told her I really liked her blog and she said thanks and then we talked a bit about driving down from denver and how clean she thought it was for a big city. A few feet away was patrick and he was the last. He agreed and we got two pictures with him because the first one was too bright, it was pretty cool talking to patrick and maybe second longest. We also talked about the show and what showbread does and how awesome they are, and then my mom started talking about how I saved up my allowance to give showbread some money to donations and patrick said thanks...it felt really awkward...they both were staring at me and it was weird…..anyway the night was over and I was ready to head back to the hotel, I had met everyone and was satisfied with it. 


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I read through it all! :) I wish I could have gone but I'm super glad you had a great time :)

    p.s. It's Heather :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a lot of reading!! thanks heather! :( :)

    ReplyDelete